Friday, December 26, 2008
Best Films 2008: Our Picks
This is the time of year when the “Best Films of 2008” lists start coming out. We figured the unique minds at Potion Lords should chime in, in order to balance out the ever-predictable Oscar lists.
There are a lot of films I didn’t see but I caught quite a few… and at the top of the list is...
1. Funny Games US- Michael Haneke's condemning film on the desensitization of violence as entertainment. Between the eggs and the golf balls, this is a modern classic. I applaud Naomi Watts for taking on what must have been a demanding and emotionally exhausting role. Brady Corbet and Michael Pitt play the best psychos ever.
2. Mister Lonely- The emerging cinematic genius of our time drops another beautiful piece of art on us. Beautifully shot and totally original.
3. Encounters at the End of the World- When Werner Herzog makes a documentary, you better believe it’s going to be the best of the year. Among his finest.
4. Smiley Face- The stoniest movie of the year. Anna Ferris nails what its like to seriously trip out. The attention to detail is marvelous. Watch it high.
5. The Dark Knight- Big budget filmmaking at its best. Ledger completely disappeared into the character; Heath was nowhere to be seen... astonishing.
6. Synecdoche, New York- Inner paradigm shifting exploration of the meaning of life and art. The dark side of psychedelia captured on film.
7. Up the Yangtze- An fascinating portrayal of the industrialization and modernization of China told through the story of one peasant family relocated during the unbelievably massive 3 Rivers Damn Project. An unintentionally perfect companion piece to last years Manufactured Landscapes.
8. Gomorra- A very realistic portrait of life in the slums of Naples that are run by the ruthless Cammorra crime family. The character of Ciro (the skinny kid) is one of the best I've seen in years. That kid is amazing- he should get an Oscar. The scene with him shooting the guns is incredible.
9. Taxi to the Dark Side- Won an Oscar in 2007 but was not properly released until this year. Watching these soldiers unremorsefully recount beating and torturing innocent people to death will make you furious, and realize the American Military is the most dangerous and evil force on the planet. Terrifying.
10. Wendy and Lucy- A simple, personal film that works if you have ever experienced life like Wendy.
11. Paranoid Park, The Class, Still Life, The Last Mistress, The Wrestler, or Lorna’s Silence. Didn’t have a chance to see these but I guarantee they’re amazing.
What a year huh? Do you feel any different? Are you looking forward to 2 0 0 9? Hope? Change? Well maybe after watching a few of these, you will………change…
“Everything is personal” –T.I.M. Dec. 13, 2008
1. The Last Mistress
2. Funny Games (USA)
3. Encounters at the End of the World
4. Vicki Christina Barcelona
5. The Happening
6. Mister Lonely
7. The Wrestler
8. Mother of Tears
9. Slumdog Millionaire
10. Trouble The Water
More lists to be added as they come into headquarters...